We never miss a teachable moment.
Reading Assistant is the only online reading tool that uses speech recognition to support and correct students as they read aloud – never missing a teachable moment. No other e-book or program provides comparable support. With the help of a supportive listener, students build reading fluency and comprehension.
Tim Rasinski, PH.D.
Recorded Webinar: Reading for Meaning: The Role of Deep Practice
Whitepaper: Supportive Fluency Instruction: The Key to Reading Success (Especially for Students Who Struggle)
- When a student has difficulty reading a word, Reading Assistant intervenes by pronouncing the word if the student does not self-correct. View a diagram of how Reading Assistant works.
- After completing a passage, questions measure literal and inferential comprehension. See sample comprehension questions.
- Reading Assistant uses the best practices of guided oral reading instruction, the gold standard for building fluency.
- Builds better readers: students improve reading level 50% beyond expected gains.
- Saves you time: it automatically assesses and tracks words correct per minute (WCPM) and reading comprehension for teachers!
- Provides an unbiased listener to every student: even hard-to-engage students will practice reading aloud, always without judgment.
- Dramatically improves reading fluency, the critical bridge to comprehension.
- Fluency is the ability to read accurately, expressively and with good phrasing in order to comprehend what you read. It’s not about reading fast.
- A nonfluent reader spends a lot of energy decoding, leaving not much room for comprehension. Students need to decode fluently to understand what they’re reading but often don’t build this automaticity through independent reading alone.
- Guided oral reading instruction is the gold standard for building fluency - Reading Assistant incorporates these best practices!
Want tips on building reading fluency and comprehension in your classroom? Download a paper by Dr. Tim Rasinski, Supportive Fluency Instruction: The Key to Reading Success (Especially for Students who Struggle).
- Selections* from over 300 reading passages at a range of reading levels, grades 1-12
- Non-fiction and fictional texts across genres:
- Expository nonfiction
- Realistic and historical fiction
- Science fiction
- Folktale, myth, legend
- Personal Narrative
*Aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
The Fast ForWord® program is an online reading intervention that uses the principles of neuroplasticity – the ability of the brain to rewire and improve – to treat the underlying cause of language and reading difficulties, once and for all.